2.24.2009

atheism.

I never thought religion would be a huge barrier between friends, but now I feel like it might be.  Ok, so it's not the biggest barrier, that would be me and my big mouth never knowing when to shut up.  But religion has become an issue.  What's the point in feeling special that my religion is different when it seems like it's causing more problems than it's worth.  So it's not the actual religion that's causing problems, it's the understanding and misunderstanding of various religions.  So now I'm questioning, what was the point of attending Hebrew School for so many years, if now I'm just going to wish that I was a different religion?

The thing about religion is that it's not something tangible like red hair, blue eyes, and glasses.  It's something that can be altered throughout your life.  I'm not saying I would change what I believe just to make someone else happy, but at the same time, what exactly do I believe?  I'm not entirely sure.  How am I supposed to believe that there's someone out there watching over me, who allows such horrible things to happen in my life?  [and I'm not just talking about right now]  You can't honestly want me to believe that there's a reason for everything, because that means that there's a reason my grandma had to die, or my grandpa that I never met.  Sorry, but I'm just not buying that "everything happens for a reason" philosophy.

Atheism sounds pretty good right about now.

Happy Mardi Gras.

No comments: